background

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Trail Bars

I saw a recipe book open on my mother-in-laws counter top the other day when I stopped in.  I took a peek at the recipes on the page, and asked which one she was making.  She pointed to the recipe on the bottom of the page and said that she was making it, thinking specifically of a guest they would be hosting who has special diet concerns.  After reading the recipe through, I decided that it looked very good and something I would love to try.  I bought the ingredients at the store that day and a made a pan of Trail Bars that evening.  They are a hit at our house and as far as “bars” are concerned, very healthy.  I made a couple changes to the recipe to suit our families preferences and make them even more healthy.  I always love to share a good recipe…

 

Trail Bars

2 1/2 cups rice crispies

2 cups rolled oats

1 cup raisins or dried cranberries (I used crasins)

1 c. coconut (I omitted)

1 cup chocolate chips (I used 1 cup Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips)

1/2 cup sunflower seeds ( I used 1 cup cashews)

3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup to lessen the sugar)

3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter ( I used 3/4 cup creamy Skippy)

3/4 cup light corn syrup (I used 1/2 cup to lessen sugar)

1 tsp. vanilla

Combine cereal, oats, raisins, coconut, chips and seeds in large bowl.  Mix well.  In a glass bowl, combine brown sugar, peanut butter, and corn syrup.  Microwave on high for 2 minutes.  Stir in vanilla until smooth.  Pour over cereal mixture and mix until coated.  Press into a greased 9x13 pan.  Cool.  Cut into bars. 

 

It may be because I skimped on the corn syrup, but the bars kind of fall apart when cutting them.  I did cut several of them and wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them the freezer, but the rest of the bars I just crumbled and placed in a bowl.  The kids eat it like trail mix, one handful after another.  I think that when it is crumbled in the bowl, it is the perfect consistency, not gooey and messy but still moist, yet with a little crunch.  Hard to describe, you just have to try it yourself.  I asked the kids if they liked them.  All but Cade (who hates chocolate) loved them.  Miah compared them to scotcheroo bars.  She is right.  It is the new  healthy version of the scotcheroo!   

DSC_0383art2

No comments: