“Every good and and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” James 1:17
Gavin James De Wit entered this world yesterday at 4:07 p.m., weighing 8 pounds 6 ounces, and measuring 22 inches long. He has a head full of blonde hair, squishy little cheeks, and pink rose bud lips. The kind that make you want to just smooch them. They are especially cute when he cries…they quiver. His mommy and daddy spent hours discussing and contemplating the perfect name for this little boy. There were many names in the running, but in the end Gavin James won. Gavin is named after both of his grandpas. I love family names! When I heard about Gavin’s name I was so excited. James is arguably one of my favorite books of the bible. It was while studying the book of James, almost 16 years ago, that God transformed and changed my heart. It was while studying this book that I realized the depth of my sin and the glory of a God who paid the price for it. To this day, when I read certain passages in James I am overwhelmed with God’s goodness and grace for me. At first glance, the book of James appears to be intensely practical, and it is. James teaches us about the importance of taming our tongue. He also tells us how important it is that we are not only hearers of the word, but doers of the word. He warns us about being “friends” with the world, and about how our faith without works is really no faith at all. Yes, the book of James has many practical applications for our life, and as I read them I can become overwhelmed by how short I fall. But beautifully woven though all the instruction and application is God’s justification and salvation. I also go back and start where James starts in Chapter 1 with, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him”. Last night, I gave God thanksgiving for a healthy baby boy. I praised him for keeping Gavin and his mommy safe during the labor and delivery. I also asked God to one day use his Word to change and transform this little boy. I asked God to show Gavin the depth of his sin, so that in turn he too, might see his Savior. I just wonder if He might use the book of James to do it?
We are not related to Gavin in any way, shape, or form, but he is family! We love you Gavin James. He’s really Cade’s first boy cousin on the Franken side.:) You think he is loved?
1 comment:
I just love him so much and all the girls (and boy) who he has to keep him in line:)
Post a Comment