Caden has done a great job of adjusting and has told me on several occasions, "Third grade is WAY better than second grade." He really enjoys his teacher who, by the way, I have never seen without a smile on her face...seriously! The best part of being in third grade is that he has now "graduated" in the lunch room statues...as of this year, he is allowed to skip one item at lunch and not have it impinge on him getting seconds! He's been waiting four years to be able to say, "No green beans please."
Miah is loving first grade. She has one of her best friends in her class. She also loves her very young and energetic teacher. Miah just loves to learn. She is like a little sponge, absorbing every bit of information she is given. They have been studying about ant colonies in science and she is a wealth of knowledge when she comes home. She has obviously been sharing that knowledge with her preschool sisters too. When I put Willow to bed last night she said to me, "Did you know that ants smell with their antlers (aka antennas)." I started to chuckle and said, "really?" She replied with, "That's what Miah says."
I am so grateful for the teachers that God has called and equipped to love and teach our children. The teachers and staff at the SCCS have been a blessing in our lives. Last year as a school, they spent the year learning what it meant to put on the full armor of God. This year the school has chosen Galatians 5:22 as their theme verse. The first day of school Mrs. Korver (Cade's teacher) sent home a note to the students and parents. It described how they, as a class, were going to think of third grade as a race that they need to run each day. She told them the race should be run in a way that is pleasing to God. The only way to run the race in a way that is pleasing to God is to exhibit the fruits of the Spirit daily. She said our work, our play, and our learning should be a reflection of the Spirit of God: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Caden and I talked about that note together. I encouraged him to view third grade in that way. I explained to him that I wanted him to do well in his studies, but more importantly to do well in exhibiting those fruits to his teachers and classmates. That note has been a challenge to me as well. Am I running my daily race in a way that is pleasing to God? I admit that all too often my focus is not on how I ran the "race", but rather just being thankful the "race" is done. It is my goal this year, with my children, to run a race that is pleasing to God. One that is done with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control!
No comments:
Post a Comment