This is what Caden served up for supper last night. He decided at 3 o’clock yesterday afternoon, “I am in the mood to make a new recipe”. I am telling you people, he is going to be some women’s dream! I slid three cookbooks across the counter to him and said, “Go for it buddy.” He almost always chooses a recipe from one of my cookbooks with pictures in it, but I think that he is getting better at seeing a list of ingredients and knowing if he is going to like it. He picked one from my “Reciplease” cookbook. I actually call it “The California Cookbook”. We got it from Shan and Greg when they were in California. It is a compilation of their former neighbors best recipes. I hear that she is an amazing cook. I believe it, because I haven’t made a recipe out of the cookbook that I didn’t love. So, he got a piece of paper and started “scratching” out a list. Believer it or not, I don’t keep vodka on hand, so we had to make a grocery run:)
1 lb. penne pasta
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
2 shallots, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup vodka
1 cup chicken broth
1 (32 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
salt and pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
20 fresh basil leaves, shredded
1 lb. kielbasa sausage
Cook pasta according to directions on box. Meanwhile, heat butter, olive oil, shallots and garlic in skillet. Cook 4 minutes then add vodka. Cook another 4 minutes or until vodka is reduced by half. Add chicken broth and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Add cream. When sauce returns to slight boil, remove from heat and toss hot pasta with sauce. Add shredded basil.
Notes: The recipe did not call for the kielbasa sausage, but we added it because we wanted a little meat in the recipe. We grilled the sausage (about 10 minutes) while we were making the sauce. We served the sausage on the side. We also only used 10-15 leaves basil, because that is all we could harvest from our plants. They are getting their second blooms, so we are hopeful we will be eating bruschetta very soon! The recipe was a hit and all the kids loved it! Anyone have any other recipes with vodka in it? We have just a little left!
1 comment:
I made this today with kielbasa as well, and it's delicious! I made some minor modifications (cut down on the cream a little bit, and used dried basil instead of the fresh), and it tasted wonderful. Thank you for the meal idea!
Post a Comment