background

Friday, July 8, 2011

What are we up to?

DSC_0339DSC_0336DSC_0340DSC_0341DSC_0335DSC_0343DSC_0331

Picking strawberries at Gettings Gardens is a yearly event.  This year we went with Grandma Vic, Jill, and her girls.  The berries were small, but as sweet as ever.  We made several batches of jam, 4 strawberry pies, and many smoothies! 

DSC_0346

Doesn’t she looks so little?  And I am not referring to the fact that the picture was taken from like 10 miles away (Bryan was in charge of the camera.  I love him dearly, but photography is not his thing).  Willow played K-ball this year and she loved it.  They played with a tee for the first three games.  She was very nervous before the game that they took the tee away.  So much so, she tried to convince us to let her stay home.  It took one at bat for her to gain a little bit of confidence.  She smacked that first pitch right past the pitcher.  No more convincing this little girl to go to her games! 

DSC_0353DSC_0351

This year Jill and I coached Miah’s & Jori’s team.  It was a learning experience.  All I have to say, is that I always thought that mothering required more patients that any other job…well, I can safety say that I now believe that it is coaching:)  

Miah surprised us this year.  She could not wait to get on that field!  She was always trying to weasel her way into a position that she knew would get a lot of action…and there aren’t many in 1st and 2nd grade softball.  She became more confident in her ability and it showed.  It was a fun year! 

 

DSC_0363DSC_0361

Bryan had the privilege of coaching Cade for the 4th year in a row.  All I can say is these two boys love baseball!  I have never been a huge fan, but they have won me over!  Caden hit 4 homeruns this year…over the fence, almost in the parking lot, homeruns.  Now tell me that isn’t fun to watch!  He hit one the first game of the season, and so we were afraid that he was going to be “swinging for the fence” every game after.  So, on the way to each game Bryan would give him the whole “fundamentals” talk.  He would tell him that every swing should be a “nice, easy, base hit swing”.  We know that in the mind of a 4th grade boy it translated into “swing for the fence!”

Just the other day I asked him if baseball was his favorite sport.  He said, “It is right now”.  That’s how it is with Caden.  Whatever sport he is playing is his favorite.  He loves them all.  I was talking with another mom the other day, and she was telling me that they have encouraged their child to pick one or two favorite sports and just try focus on them.  She was explaining that they (her and her husband) thought that it was too difficult for kids to excel in several sports.  She was trying to convince me that this was the road to go, now days!  Really?  I hope that she couldn’t read the expression on my face when she was telling me this.  It would have said something like this, “I am not buying it lady!”  We try really hard in this home to keep the focus off the excelling aspect.  Do we love to see them excel?  Absolutely!  Is that the motive in having them participate in sports?  Absolutely not!  If my children never excel in one sport, but have fun and learn life lesson from all of them, then sports have served their purpose! 

DSC_0355DSC_0357

 

 

DSC_0359DSC_0356

Swimming, swimming, and more swimming.  We have spent several afternoons at the pool and the Hibma Beach.  We meet our preschool coop group every Thursday afternoon at Heimans pit to swim and fish.  I told the girls that they would not see this picture anywhere on-line.  I guess I will see how many of them read my blog:).  Sorry girls…I thought that it was a cute picture of all of us, in spite of the swimsuits!  We are still missing Mindi and her 5 kids.   

DSC_0364DSC_0367

 

DSC_0368DSC_0365

We spent most of the 4th of July weekend on the boat.  It was a beautiful weekend and the kids enjoyed many tube rides and lots of skiing.  Amirah loves the boat, but did not like her siblings riding behind it.  The entire time Caden was skiing she was clenching my hand saying, “My Caden get owie.  My Caden get owie.  No more Caden.”  I called her Grandma Lizzie the rest of the day.  Anyone who knew my Grandma Liz will know what I am talking about!

1 comment:

Mrs. Heidi said...

I see it, I see it ;) I think I did hear "this won't be posted on the internet, will it!!?" I won't tell ;) See ya tomorrow for more fun in the sun!