Today was just plain fun! It was one of those days, where everything went as planned and the kids were “on their game”. Willow had an appointment in Sioux Falls with a dermatologist. She has been fighting a really bad case of psoriasis for well over a year, and so I made an appointment at Avera Dermatology and Laser center. With gas prices the way they are I was feeling a little guilty about making the appointment. I was second guessing whether it was really that serious…serious enough to drive 70 miles to get a second opinion?
I decided that I could:
A: Drive all the way to Sioux Falls, see the dermatologist, and then turn around and come home.
(That just didn’t sound like fun, at all!)
B: I could drive all the way to Sioux Falls with just Willow, make a day of it by shopping, having lunch, and then driving home.
(This option would only intensify the guilt after spending more money at the mall)
C: I could cancel the appointment.
(This option would result in frustration when I was purchasing yet another tube of cortisone cream)
D: Take all the kids along and surprise them with a day of fun.
(This seems like the only desirable and logical answer. So, I picked letter D!)
At first Cade didn’t want to go along. I told him that if he decided to stay home he might regret it. At that point they all knew I had something up my sleeve.
The appointment really well. I liked the doctor. I knew I was going to like her when she only made only kind remarks about the 5 kids and 1 adult crammed into the very small room patient room. She didn’t seem annoyed by the extra bodies that made it more difficult to do her job. Once we got that matter of “business” out of the way, our day could begin.
We left the clinic and headed to Falls Park. I had packed a picnic, so we enjoyed that by the falls.
The kids wanted to go up in the tower that over looked the park and downtown Sioux Falls. I could have passed on this part, but I tried to be brave and just stay far away from the railing. I have developed a real fear of heights as I have gotten older.
Then we hopped on the (free) trolley that took us downtown to our next surprise stop
About 5 blocks into the ride we rang the bell for our driver to let us off
“Oh My Cupcakes” was our next stop. “Oh My Cupcakes” is a gourmet cupcakery on Main Street. My kids love watching TLC’s hit show “DC Cupcake”, so they were pretty excited when I told them about this next stop. Cade wasn’t sure he was even going to eat a cupcake, because he REALLY dislikes frosting. Much to his surprise, he found a cupcake topped with whipping cream instead of frosting. Willow had the “Root beer Float” (my personal favorite), Miah had the “S’mores”, Caden had the “Strawberry Shortcake”, and Amirah and Romee shared the “Razz my Berry”. We can’t wait to take Bryan back and try 4 more flavors.
We walked back to the trolley stop and waited for the trolley to pick us up. Then we headed to Philips Avenue where we viewed the SculptureWalk. Some of our personal favorites were “Hey Marylou/Blindside”, “Chelsea”, “Expectant Mother”, “Fat Tony”. I wasn’t sure if the kids were really going to enjoy this, but they were fascinated with some of the sculptures. I thought it was one of the most fun parts of the day.
When we got back to Falls Park we got out the stroller and scooter and went for a little walk.
The weather was perfect. The kids were great. And besides the $11 spent at “Oh My Cupcakes” it was the cheapest fun we have had in awhile. I came home tired, but it was so worth it. Cade said while we were eating our picnic at Falls Park, “If this all you have planned, I have had a fun day already.” I am so thankful that my kids enjoy plain, simple, cheap, fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment