background

Monday, August 15, 2011

15 years

While we were at the lake, Bryan and I celebrated our 15 year anniversary.  Can it really be?  We went on our first date in the spring of 1992, 19 years ago.   I can still picture the very spot he asked me out on our first date.  He had finished track practice before me and so when I came out of the locker room he was sitting outside waiting for me.  He was sitting on the black granite slab benches just outside the locker rooms.  I  can even picture the shoes he was wearing and the duffle bag swung over his shoulder.  I knew exactly what he wanted and I couldn’t wait to say “yes”. 

I want to make this disclaimer:  The following material is meant for my husband (and children) to read someday.  Since Bryan doesn’t follow the blog very closely, I am fully aware that he may not read this until a much later date…like, maybe after I am long gone:)  But even then.  I want him to know.  So, if you don’t want to listen to me “gush” over my husband, you too should tune in at a later date.  I’ll understand.  Really.  However, if you want to read on, I would love share with the world handful of people that read my blog what a lucky blessed girl I am!

This is what you are to me and so much more…

You are the most patient man on the planet.  Not only are you patient, but you are long-suffering.  I can count on one hand how many times you have raised your voice at me.  That says nothing about the easy-going and agreeable person that I am.  It says that you are long-suffering! 

You are sensitive and extremely tender hearted.  You cried with the birth of each of our children, and the realization of the them growing up all too quickly causes tears to well up in your eyes as well.  You feel things deeply and are not afraid to let it show in your emotions.    

You are calm and collected.  You don’t react and think later.  You think before you act.  I could take a lesson from you.  You are the voice of reason, when I am irrational.  You are the rock when I am crumbling. 

You are wise and discerning.  Not only about everyday things, like how to fix the seat in the suburban, but also about things that really matter.  I ask you all the time, “How did you know that?”  I know I can always count on you to make a good decision.        

You are fun to have around.  Our kids act like they don’t enjoy the funny songs you sing, but you know they love them, don’t you?  The girls pretend like they are embarrassed by the silly games you play, but they can’t wait to be the next one hung on the wall!   Many, many games of baseball, kickball, and football have been played in this backyard and you have initiated each one of them.  You will never know how much you have impacted the kids by simply having fun with them.     

You work hard.  I have never heard you complain about having to go to work.  Never.  I complain about your job,  but you don’t.  You take your job very seriously, but never at the expense of us.  Thank you for providing exactly what we need. 

You are my helpmate.  I have seen you clean toilets, mop the kitchen floor, and fold SO many loads of laundry.  I sometimes get irritated by your need/desire to have the house clean and organized, but really I am very  glad that it is important to you.  Some days I don’t know what I would do without your help! 

You are my encourager.  You tell me over and over how much you appreciate everything I do for our family.  You rant and rave over my cooking even when it is French toast and eggs.  You tell me how blessed our kids are to have a mom like me.  You tell me how talented I am, and I how I could be doing 100 other things, but instead have chosen to stay home with our kids.  I tell you to stop it, because you are embarrassing me, but those words mean the world to me.  Because staying at home is important to me, it is important to you. 

You are your own person.  This is one of the things that attracted me to you even before we had “officially” met.  I remember watching you interact with your friends and thinking that you were different than most guys I knew.  You were not trying to impress anyone and were comfortable and confident with yourself. 

You are honest.  You tell it like it is…most often with tact:).  You don’t “play games”, and what you see is what you get.  It’s never a guessing game for me.  For that I am grateful. 

You are a strong spiritual leader in our marriage and family.  You take the spiritual welfare of your family seriously.  You challenge us and encourage us to dig deeper.  You make daily family devotions a priority.  You are a living example of love, grace, and forgiveness. 

You are a gift.  A gift that I don’t deserve, but one that I do not take for granted.  You are more than a faithful husband, you are my best friend.  I really like you!  I can not wait to see what God has in store for us in the next 15 years. 

 

“Every day that a husband and wife walk hand in hand together upon this earth makes the twain more and more one flesh.  The selfish element that at first formed so large a part of their attraction to each other disappears, and the union becomes so pure and beautiful as to form fitting type of union of Christ and His church.  There is nothing else on earth like it.” Stepping Heavenward

I love you Bubbs

1 comment:

Heather said...

I have always wondered what you saw in him all these years; now I guess I know. :D Kidding! I am a little disappointed that I did not get more credit at the beginning of this post, but I'm sure deep down inside you are thanking me. Kidding again. :)

Congratulations on 15 years of marriage; we love you guys, and we love your devotion to one another and glorification of God through it!