Sadness is not the right emotion to describe my heart tonight. Although I am not sad, there is a heaviness in my heart. A heaviness that I can’t really describe. I often describe this feeling to Bryan as, “being out of sorts.” I get this feeling when my emotions are so mixed, I don’t even know how I should feel. Tonight I feel gratitude, for the wonderful summer we had. I feel humbled, knowing that my children get the opportunity to go to a school where they are loved and nurtured, and where they learn and grown academically and spiritually. I feel grieved by my children’s childhood years flying by. I feel anxious about handing over my 5 year old to any other teacher, when I am the only teacher she has ever known. I feel excited about one-on-one time with my baby for the first time in her life. I can choose to get overwhelmed by these feelings and curl up on the couch and cry {not that that has even happened} or I can focus on the feelings that are glorifying to God and make the best of tomorrow. I already know what I am going to do and here is just the start.
As we were getting ready for bed tonight, we asked the kids to just list all the fun things we had the opportunity to do this summer. Here is the short list…
* bike rides
* baseball and softball
* ice cream, ice cream, ice cream…homemade, Culvers and Blue Bunny
* noon hour picnics in the park
* afternoons at the pool and the Hibma’s beach
* croquet with Grandma-great
* Shingling with uncles and cousins
* Big Sand
* Fourth of July at the lake
* Playing and reading in the tree fort/swing set
* Adding Hazel to the family
* evening trips to Sandy Hollow to let Hazel swim
* Discovering a new flavor at the Tropical Sno: Hilton Magic
* Sunday nights at Grandma Vic and Grandpa Will’s farm
* Gretchen and Nate’s Wedding
* School Shopping/overnight with Grandpa and Grandma
We packed a lot of fun into 11 weeks! I am so grateful for a wonderful summer, filled with memories that will forever. Yes, grateful is what I will choose!
2 comments:
This is just what I needed to read as I drag my feet to get started with school. I will remember some of the benefits of homeschooling, one of which is being able to keep them close:)
I can so relate to the assortment of emotions. We have done a back-to-school devotion the night before school starts the past two years that has the family members remember thankfully the summer's events. Then each family member lists their hopes for the coming year. It's a really good way to get us off on the right foot - and to adjust my attitude. :)
Post a Comment