background

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Christmas 2012

Our original plan was to spend Christmas 2012 in San Antonio Texas.  As the weeks drew closer, feelings fluctuated about spending the holidays away from home and more importantly family.  Our kids had a really hard time thinking about missing out on time and traditions with family and in the end Bryan and I decided to postpone the trip.  Many times throughout the Christmas break we would remind ourselves what we would have been doing had we stuck with Plan A.  Not once did I sense any regret with Plan B….especially when we found out that most of Texas experienced record low temps the week of Christmas!  My kids are blessed with 29 cousins, 8 uncles, 7 aunts, 2 grandpa’s, 2 grandma’s and 1 great grandma, everyone of whom they spent significant time with over break.  What a gift this Christmas was again. 

We began our celebrations with the Franken Christmas.  The highlights of this night include, but are not limited to:  The annual Christmas program completely written and organized by the kids.  It included several songs (some solos), scripture reading, the Jesse Tree, and closing prayer.  It was absolutely precious and brought me to tears several times.  The arrival of Pete the Cat.  She wouldn’t have needed to open another gift.  Crusted Prime Rib, twice baked potatoes, and grasshoppers.  PicMonkey CollageprogramPicMonkey Collagegifts

Our Christmas:  Because we are still planning on taking our trip to Texas this spring, there were no big gifts under the tree.  I can’t resist the stocking stuffers, so their stockings were still filled to the brim.  We also started a new tradition this year where the kids traded names, and bought for one another.  I of course purchased the gifts, but I told them that they had to spend two weeks considering their sibling's interests and also listen for ideas they might give.  They were NOT allowed to simply go and ask their sibling what they wanted.    It was fun to hear them each come to me at some point throughout the two weeks and tell me what they thought their sibling would like.  We spent an evening in Sioux City taking turns in the mall purchasing the gifts with each child.  It was a fun tradition and one we will continue.  The highlight of the night was the picnic with Chinese take-out, of course!!!

DSC_0015artPicMonkey Collagechrist13

Bryan cheated surprised me with a gift when we were not supposed to be exchanging gifts.  The last time he bought me jewelry was the summer of 1996, and that was a diamond.  The 17 year wait was well worth it, because this piece is almost as precious as the ring I wear everyday.  DSC_0066art

It’s my 5 little eggs (pearls) in a messy nest.  He contemplated a couple of options, but he knows I have a “thing” for nests and knew when he saw it that this was the one.  With the kids’ help he picked out one of the best gifts I have ever been given.  He also gave me a set of sweater mugs that I am in love with, and the way he presented them to me made me cry.  Each of the kids wrote an attribute that they thought described me and then delivered them one by one with a hug and kiss.  I am such a lucky girl.   

DSC_0045

The Bleeker Christmas:  This party is full of fun traditions that we all look forward to every year.  The cousin book exchange, SNOWY (aka BINGO), the SNOWY prize table, and Grandma B’s wonderful prime rib meal.  Making strop waffles has also become kind of a tradition for the older cousins.  It is fun to listen to them them talk and laugh as they roll, fry, cut, fill, roll, fry, cut and fill, roll, fry…you get the point.  It is tiiiimmmeee consuming, but oh so worth it for those who consume them! 

DSC_0068DSC_0069DSC_0070

Did you know Miah has a twin?  This is Russ and Laura’s oldest daughter, Anna.  Miah and Anna were born 6 months apart and it is crazy how much they resemble each other.  Their physical appearances are not where the similarities stop.  They have very similar personalities…they even cry alike. 

DSC_0082

DSC_0080

The last of our parties:  Grandma Great and Annie came the weekend after Christmas.  My grandma has had a bell collection for as long as I can remember.  My grandpa and grandma did a lot of traveling and every trip they went on, they picked up another  bell to add to her collection.  They traveled to all 50 states and many foreign countries.  When I was little and we would be visiting at my grandpa and grandma’s house, I would often ask to look at all her bells (most of which were behind glass doors).  She would open the doors and take out certain bells and then take the opportunity to tell about their travels in that particular state or country.  My grandma decided that this year she was going to give each of her great grandkids one of the bells from her collection.  She also gave each of her granddaughters something from her collection of pottery/vases.  As she gets older and realizes her years with us are fewer, she has decided that she would like the joy of giving some of these things to us herself.  It was fun to hear her tell my kids some of the same stories I remember hearing when she showed me the bells many years ago. 

DSC_0118

DSC_0116DSC_0121

Grandma Great talking to Cade about his gift. 

DSC_0110

Grandma Great and the whole crew. 

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love the gift of bells from your grandma Veurink. I'm definitely going to ask your kids about them next time we're together. I bet they're so proud!