background

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Survived

We all survived our first day of school.  I won’t lie.  It was a hard day.  As Bryan prayed with us this morning at breakfast, the tears rolled down my cheeks.  The tears were not tears for me.  They were tears for my kids, especially my little boy who was embarking on his first day at a new school.  A school with more kids, and more classrooms, bigger hallways, and more places to get lost!  A school that has outfitted him with a brand new computer and more responsibility and a locker that he can’t get open.  A school that is full of kids who have been classmates for the last 8 years and where he was the new face and the new name.

When I was tucking him into bed tonight he told me that it was a good thing I wasn’t able to be at school with him today.  He told me that I probably would have cried the whole day.  I asked him why he thought I would have cried the whole day.  He went on to explain that he was a little confused most of the day.  He retold me the stories of how he struggled to get his locker open and needed help from his aunt (and Language Arts teacher) almost every time he went to it.  He also reminded me of the time he was sitting in class and as they passed the “B’s” on the attendance list, he knew he was in the wrong class.  He followed the stories up with, “Things like that would make you want to cry.”  He is SO right, and he knows me SO well!  I told him that he is so much braver than I ever would be.  In spite of his “confused” day, he reports having a good day.  He came home happy and relieved that the first day was over.  I feel the same way.  I have a believe that he is going to have a better day tomorrow, and an even better day after that! 

Miah also had a good day today.  She is most excited about starting band.  She was assigned her instrument today.  She will be our little drummer girl!  She was excited that after making the “cuts”, she will be one of three drummers in the 5th grade band.  We can thank Minerva, and 3 years of piano under her belt for that. 

Willow was a little bummed when we got the class list and saw that three of her best friends were all in one class with the teacher that she was hoping for.  She held back tears when seeing the list.  Today she was far from tears.  She was excited to tell me about how she made friends with one little girl she hadn’t played with much last year and how she played with Stella, Ayda, and McKenna at recess.  She is such a happy-go-lucky little girl! 

DSC_1106DSC_1113

Tomorrow is Romee’s first day!  So glad she was home with me today.  Easy does it! 

1 comment:

Mrs. Heidi said...

Congrats on making it through the first week, mom. :)