background

Monday, February 14, 2011

First Place

Sometimes I wonder...What is God trying to teach me? Other times, He makes it very clear.

In BSF last week, we studied Isaiah chapter 40:12-31. This passage is a beautiful picture of God's mighty power, his sovereignty, his wisdom, and so much more! I think that this chapter might be one of my new favorites! Speaking of favorites, I was asking the kids at supper the other night what songs they were singing in school right now and which were their favorites. Miah told me that "The First Place" was hands down her favorite. I had never heard of it, so as soon as we finished supper I did an on-line search. There were only three "hits" and one of them was a video. I clicked the "play"button, and three lines into the song I was in tears. I am not sure if it was Miah's singing over my shoulder that brought me to tears, or the fact that God graciously gave me a "theme song" for the passage that I was studying just moments before. I later learned that the song was actually written from a combination of Colossians 1 and a quote by Abraham Kuyper. There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry: ‘Mine!’

In our lecture Monday night, Laurie (our teaching leader) asked us, "Do you need to repent of the sin of diminishing God?" My first thought was, "Is that really considered a sin?" My second thought was, "No, I don't think that I diminish God. I think that I have a pretty good grasp on the "bigness" of who God is." Then God humbled me. I started reading my BSF notes on Tuesday night. I have never highlighted so many things in the notes...ever! Then on Wednesday Miah's teacher sent home the sheet music to the song "The First Place" (at my request). I sat down and started reading the lyrics again. It was then that God used the passage from Isaiah 40, the lecture, the notes, and the song to convict me, that yes, diminishing God is a sin, and it is one I commit daily! Here's why: If I truly understood God's sovereignty over all of creation, He would have first place in my life! I am ashamed and humbled to say that most days he doesn't have first place! My kids, my home, my hobbies, my thoughts, my time, my energy all fight for first place, and too many times I let them win. I would just love to blame this one of Satan. But I can't. It's me. All me. Too much of me. It is my prayer that I daily understand and grasp a deeper understanding of the sovereignty of God, so that I can make him first place in my life. So that I can see more of Him and then there will be less of me!

First Place

Jesus, the perfect picture of the unseen God
Maker of things we cannot comprehend.
Wisdom, the earth displays Your strength and beauty.
Sovereign, yes, every throne knows You are God.

Chorus
Every inch of this universe belongs to You, O Christ.
For through You and for You it was made.
Your creation endures by the order of Your hand.
So You must have in all things the first place.

Victor, over sin and death You triumphed.
Firstborn, You’ve shown us life beyond the grave.
Bridegroom, we long for You in expectation.
Jesus, Your church rejoices to proclaim.
© 1999 Matthew Westerholm



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that God has used this song in your life. May He bless you as you seek to give Him the first place.

<><
Matthew and Lisa Westerholm
Grand Rapids, Michigan