background

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Treasured Weekend

This weekend was truly a weekend to treasure. We had so much fun as a family, and it was the first time in 10 years (since Cade was born) that we were all able to go to a game as a family. This family has made many trips to Ames, but our weekend usually consisted of one of us taking the "big" kids to the game, and one of us staying back at the motel with the "little kids" (swimming, supper and putting them to bed early). This year we decided to brave it, and take all 5 kids to the game. Even in spite of the bone-chilling walk from the suburban to Hilton, all the kids were troopers! We found our seats at 7:30p.m. and exited the building at 11:30p.m. (thanks to an overtime) and we heard not a single whine or complaint. Sorry, you will have to bear with me for a moment while I "toot my kid's horns". There were two older ladies and their husbands sitting directly behind us. After the game was over, the one lady leaned forward and said to Bryan and I, "I just want you to know that your children are an absolute delight to watch." I was tempted to say, "Oh, they were on their game tonight! They don't always act like this," or "Oh, you should see them at home sometimes!" Instead, I politely said, "Thank you. They were really good tonight." I have to agree, it was a delight to watch them participate, enjoy, and be excited about the same thing! (I apologize in advance for the horrible pictures. It is impossible to get good pictures in that place)The girls were so excited about this weekend. Our season tickets for the football games are monopolized by Cade and Bryan, which is okay with all of us. We asked Miah and Willow this year if they would like to go to a football game. Miah's exact words were, "No, I don't get football anyway. That would be a waste." I thought that was really funny, but so true! Basketball is a different story. Miah and Willow both "get" basketball and really love it. We didn't go to a game last year, so it had been awhile since either of them had seen a game. We have watched several ISU games on TV already this year, so they were familiar with some of the players and were very excited to see the real deal!Even Amirah got into the game. She was jumping and clapping right along with the other kids!
It was a close game and a fun one to watch. It did go into overtime (67 to67), but unfortunately the Cyclones couldn't finish. I wish that we could have seen a win, but it certainly did not ruin
our night. The half-time entertainment was almost as exciting as the game. The Fargo/Moorhead Acro Team preformed. Bryan had seen them at a game before, and said that the kids would really enjoy it. You can't explain to someone how impressive their performance was. Talk about some talented kids!

Cade watching in suspense as the regulation comes to an end.

No weekend in Ames is complete without a trip to Hickory Park. Cade couldn't wait to order his rack of ribs! Miah was more excited for dessert. Miah counted 57 different ice cream combinations on the menu!

1 comment:

Mrs. Heidi said...

Looks like you had a FUN weekend! Your children are a delight - must have some pretty great parents ;)