background

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Snow Days

We have had a lot of them lately! It has been quite a winter for NW Iowa. I can't remember one quite like it. We have had several storms that dropped up to 12 inches of snow at a time, making it almost impossible for school buses to complete their routes...thus, snow days! Snow days at the Bleeker house consist of: pj's until noon, "sleep-over muffins" (a family recipe from Grandma Vic), lots of games, wii, movies, baking, and an evening fire. We are all very content just hanging out together in the house and if the wind isn't blowing, playing outside in the snow. How can you not love snow days? I haven't ever told my kids this, but I am secretly happy when I receive that early morning email to announce the cancellation of school. It means there will be some squabbles, it means that I will be asked every 1/2 hours what there is to eat, it means being stuck in the house for hours with 5 children under the age of 9, but I still love it. However, as much as I look forward to the occasional snow day, I look forward to the last day of school even more. At this rate, they might be in school in July! I am hoping that we are blessed with a mild February and no more snow days, so an already too short summer doesn't get any shorter!The kids' favorite place to play is on our deck. Because it is sheltered from the wind and warm with the afternoon sun, it makes for the perfect place to play. A huge drift formed right outside the door, that they dug a tunnel through and stayed busy with for hours. It is also the perfect place for Amirah to watch them play. She stands right next to the glass door and giggles at them. It is almost as good as being outside with them! In Willow's words, "I don't like winter, but it is pretty". These pictures don't quite capture the scene out our great room window. Trees layered in frost, fresh snow cover, and the hazy fog...it does feel like you are in the midst of a Winter Wonderland!

No comments: