background

Thursday, December 24, 2009

"Let Me Hold You Longer"

Several years ago I bought a book called "Let Me Hold You Longer", by Karen Kingsbury ( a book that I think every mother should own or at least read). It's a picture book about how we always celebrate our child's firsts...first steps, first day of school, first tooth; and how we rarely celebrate, much less recognize their lasts.

One night last week, I was tucking Caden into bed and he asked me to lay with him for awhile before he fell asleep. It didn't surprise me, because he asks quite often. He loves to snuggle and talk. Caden loves to snuggle about as much as he loves to talk! Caden has been my snuggler from the time he was two weeks old. When he was just a tiny baby he would nuzzle his head way up into the crook of my neck and fall asleep. He only slept when being held. He was rocked to sleep until he was too big to fit on my very pregnant lap. He LOVES to snuggle. So, that night I agreed to lay with him for awhile before he went to bed. We talked about his day at school, about some of the kids in his class, and even Cyclone basketball (I know, a real shocker). As we were laying there I thought of the book, "Let Me Hold You Longer". It suddenly occurred to me that these nights with Caden, snuggling and talking in his bed, are numbered. Some day, probably soon, he will not ask me to lay with him and talk for awhile. Someday, I will be prying information out of him and wishing he would give me a spontaneous hug. At the end of our conversation, I thanked Caden for our talk and told him how much it meant to me. I told him that I treasure these times, because there might come a day when he won't want snuggle and talk with his mom. Then I told him about the book, "Let Me Hold You Longer". First he assured me that he will always want me to lay by him (a mother can only hope) and then he asked if we could read the book. Knowing that by this time it was way past bedtime I wanted to say no, but instead I said yes. We sat and read the book together and by the last page we were both in tears. He understood the sadness of "lasts". Not quite like I do, but part of him understands. This week Romee had a "last" and so did Amirah. It made me sad, but mostly I was happy that I was aware.

Lord, thank you for my children. Thank you for choosing me to be their mother. Help me to not take them for granted. Thank you that we can celebrate "firsts" together and help me be aware of "lasts". Help me to treasure each day I have with them and I ask that you help me to raise them in the way that is pleasing to you. Amen.

1 comment:

Mrs. Heidi said...

I just LOVE that book also - have it up in the boys room and it brings tears to my eyes everytime I read it. It really did make me think about life in a new way which I'm grateful - the "lasts" instead of "firsts" - so often we focus on the "firsts." Kids grow up so fast, don't they?! So sad, really - good for you for taking advantage of moments like this with Cade.