This year, I decided that my artificial tree was looking pretty shabby and so began shopping for a new one. I was having trouble finding one that I liked, so Thanksgiving weekend, Bryan suggested that we get a real one again. I was a bit apprehensive, but agreed to give it another try. We had always gotten our trees from T&S Nursery in Hawarden in years past, so I went on-line to see if they were even in business anymore. While "poking" around on-line I came across a tree farm in Canton, SD called Riverview Tree Farm. It was just across the river into South Dakota. We decided to give it a try. We called out to Grandpa Will to see if his pick-up was available, and it was. While we were getting ready to go I came to the realization that if we took Grandpa's pick-up we would also have to take the van (too many kids, not enough buckles). I thought that taking too vehicles was really foolish and suggested we just strap the tree to the top of the van. Bryan thought that was foolish. I convinced his that it would work and that I have seen it LOTS of times. I think that he was just to proud to drive into town with a tree strapped to the roof of his van. The tree stayed on the van all the way home, we all got to ride together, and we did see MANY other vans with trees strapped on their roofs! We had so much fun! The tree farm was beautiful. The kids were troopers and we decided that we will definitely be doing it again next year.
They had several type of trees to choose from. After much deliberation, we decided together that the Black Hills Spruce was the one for us. We hopped on the wagon, and the tractor drove us out the the spruce trees. They examined each one very carefully before choosing just the right one.
Just for the record, Amirah was with us. She never got out of her car seat and so got cut out of all the pictures. She is down there by our feet. I am sure we will hear about that someday. You know...the forgotten 5th child.
I am so glad that Bryan had his little helper, because my hands were full! For a boy who wanted to stay home and watch college football he sure had a good time!
1 comment:
I love your blog, Bec. What a great family tradition. And I do have to add that I empathize with little Amirah as a forgotten 5th child:)
Post a Comment