"Aren't we, the whole of the globe, aren't we waiting for the coming of Christ? For the God in the manger who makes Himself bread, the Saviour in swaddlings who makes Himself our robe of righteousness, the Christ who makes precisely what none of us can-Christmas. It is only Christ alone who can make Christmas. We are waiting for the glorious coming of Christ. Sometimes the heart yearning for the gift-is part of the gift."
This excerpt comes from an advent devotional we are doing by Ann Voskamp. I can not say enough wonderful things about the devotional. Not only does the devotional encourage the kids to eagerly anticipate Christmas, and the day of Christ birth, but causes them to see that there is something that we, as Christian eagerly anticipate even more. The coming of Christ! Last night I had the privilege of volunteering in the children's department at BSF (Bible Study Fellowship). I listened to the kids discus chapters 25, 26, and 27 of Isaiah. These kids discussed God's wrath and judgement. They talked about what God says about the proud and haughty person. They evaluated where in their life they have let "idols" take the place of God. But what really stuck with me is their discussion on Chapter 27. This chapter closes with the prophesy that "In that day a great trumpet will sound. Those who were perishing in Assyria and those who were exiled in Egypt will come and worship the Lord on the holy mountain in Jerusalem." There was a trumpet player in our group. She responded to this passage by saying, "I play the trumpet. Trumpets are cool. This is going to be so awesome when it happens." The boy next to her chimed in with, "I know. I can't wait." Wow! These kids are waiting! They are waiting for something that only Christ can give. Sometime the heart yearning for the gift is part of the gift!

1 comment:
I have been wanting to talk to you about last night! The "big kids" also discussed the unparalleled beauty of trumpets in perfect unison... and all agreed they'll be covered in goosebumps on "that day"!
And so we wait with eager anticipation.... but NOT with fear or terror or panic, because we know Whose side we are on, and we know Who will reign triumphant!
Post a Comment