background

Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas Recap

As quickly as it came, it's over! Our Christmas decorations come down slowly so to help in the "grieving" process. I anticipate and enjoy Christmas SO much I am always a little sad when it is over. This year, I don't think that we could have packed more into the two weeks, but I don't regret it a bit. Our two weeks looked a little like this:

December 22: I went and celebrated Christmas in Willow and Caden's classrooms. We played games, had sugary treats, and showered much loved teachers with gifts! I love being part of my kids' school lives and am thankful for my room mom responsibilities.

December 23: Welcomed our Michigan cousins back to Iowa. We had Grandpa and Grandma B and the Herman's over for supper. The kids played, and played, and played together. It was so good to have them home for a couple of weeks. Uncle Mike also made it home safely from Minneapolis and shared supper with us as well.

December 24: Went to the Christmas Eve service and had our "little" family Christmas. We had our traditional Christmas picnic complete with Chinese take-out and soda. I can't tell you how much I love this tradition. It is a perfect stress-free option for a mother of five, and the kids wouldn't trade it for anything...not even rib eye steaks...we offered. It was an overwhelming, "NO".

December 25: We had our Bleeker family Christmas. We enjoyed Grandpa and Grandma B's prime rib and mashed potatoes. A Christmas celebration at Grandpa and Grandma B's wouldn't be complete without Christmas bingo and of course the prize table. We even squeezed in a stroopwaffle making party. Stroopwaffles are a Dutch treat, that originated in Gouda, Netherlands. The are so good and fun to make!

December 26: Celebrated Christmas with our extended Franken family. We met at the Sioux Center Middle School gym. What a perfect place for a family gathering. Lots of room for the kids to run off energy.

December 27 & 28: Grandma Great and Aunt Annie came to celebrate Christmas with the Franken's in Iowa. We enjoyed many games of Uno, Bananagrams, and Phase Ten, breakfast at Casey's Bakery, and Grandma Vic's prime rib and twice baked potatoes. It is such a blessing to be able to enjoy a great grandmother that is healthy and well. My kids will always have very found memories of time spent with Grandma Great.

December 29: Russ graciously took the big kids to the All Season Center for the afternoon. They swam and enjoyed cookies and hot chocolate. The kids came here in the evening for a pizza making party and sleepover.

December 30: Cade had an appointment in the morning to get his contacts and then spent the afternoon at the Rec Center with Caleb and Nicolas. Did I mention that we spent lots of time with the Herman's?

December 31: Grandma B treated us to her Ollie Ballen! This is a New Year's Eve tradition that my thighs could live without, but I will gladly run three miles to enjoy! They are SO good. Grandma B makes her with apples and raisins. I think that the apple are hands down the best! Ollie ballen is another dutch food that is most often eaten on New Years Eve.

January 1: Enjoyed supper with the Jim and Deb's family. It was so nice to catch-up with their kids and their families.

No comments: