background

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Wintertime projects

All year long I file away projects for those long winter days.  It could be a sewing project, something to paint, or simply a recipe that I want to try.  I don’t like to spend nice days inside, so as soon as the first cold, snowy days arrive I pull out the binder.  I started my first winter project on Friday afternoon.  This one was very time consuming…as in, I was up really late…or was it early morning?  I really didn’t care.  I can’t always work on these project when the kids are around, so in the wee hours of the morning when the house is quiet and it is just me and my glue-gun, sewing machine, or paint brush I am in pure delight. 

Wintertime Project #1:  A ruffled tree-skirt

DSC_0847artDSC_0876art

My old tree-skirt that I used with my slim-line artificial tree just didn’t cut it with our fresh trees.  Most years you couldn’t even see the tree skirt under it.  So, I have been on a hunt for an inexpensive, pretty, NOT felt or velour, tree skirt.  I came to the conclusion that one didn’t exists, until I came across the pattern for this white-linen-ever-so-girly,-perfect-for-my-house tree skirt.  Best part about it…I had extra fabric from some white linen curtains that I sewed last year, so it cost a grand total of $8!  The second best part about it…it is NO-SEW, so anyone can do it! 

Winter Project #2:  Old-Man Quilt

As you can see from the pictures, he’s not quite done yet.  I have had the fabric for this quilt in my craft closet for almost two years now.  He was not quite as inexpensive as the tree skirt, so I decided that I really should get him cut and sewn, so I can put him to good use.  I call him the “Old-Man quilt”, because all the fabrics look like suit coats that old men might wear.  There are some hounds-tooth, herringbone, and tweed looking fabrics, but really they are the softest flannel you have ever felt.  I just love the fabric!  I can’t wait until it is done and I am snuggled under it next to the fire.  I don’t think that these pictures do the fabric justice. 

DSC_0881artDSC_0882art

Winter Project #3.  Chocolate Nests

We read the book, “A House is A House For Me” this week and that reminded me of a recipe that we made when we were in Michigan for Easter.  So, out came the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and chow mien noodles and ‘vwah-la” you have a nest mess! 

DSC_0868artDSC_0870artDSC_0875artDSC_0873art

DSC_0878art

Our nests, minus the eggs!  I love winter time projects…especially the ones you can eat!

1 comment:

Carey said...

Fun! Love the tree skirt!