background

Monday, February 6, 2012

Penguin Day

Look what I sent to school today…

DSC_1230artDSC_1231art

Miah’s third grade class just finished reading Mr. Popper’s Penguin and celebrated with a Penguin Day.  They played penguin games, ate black and white snacks, and of course dressed like penguins.  I have done a Tigger costume for Whinnie the Pooh Day and a rat/Templeton costume for Charlotte's Web Day, but the Penguin Day was new to us.  When the teacher sent the email home and said that dressing in black/white is just fine, or if you have “an idea for a more elaborate costume” the challenge was on!  This is far from elaborate, but wearing just black and white just wouldn’t do.  Miah would have been completely fine with a black sweatshirt.  These costumes are really more about me.  I think that isn’t a good thing, but I am not sure.  I just love a challenge!  I love trying to make something out of nothing.  No patterns here.  Just whatever comes out of my brain, scissors, and sewing machine.  Sometimes it looks like a penguin and sometimes, well, it just looks like a gray furry coat.  Let’s just say Templeton wasn’t my best effort!  After browsing around on the web and a quick trip to Wal-Mart for 1 yard of white felt ($3.95) and a black sweatshirt ($4.00 on clearance)….Behold, we have an Emperor penguin! 

No comments: