For the past 18 months I have been making an asserted, conscious attempt to be more aware of my blessings. This is a result of reading the book “One Thousand Gifts”, by Ann Voskamp. I read many books that cause me to evaluate the way I think, feel, and believe. This book did more than that. This booked change me. It is not very often that I read a book and and can say, I am a different person after having read it. After reading “One Thousand Gifts” I am a different person. The quote below is one of the many quotes that I jotted down on paper so that they would be present and visible long after the book was back on my shelf.
“I only live the full life when I live fully in the moment. And when I am always looking for the next glimpse of glory, I slow and enter. And time slows. Weigh down this moment in time with attention full, and the whole of time's river slows, slows, slows.....Giving thanks for one thousand things is ultimately an invitation to slow time down with weight of full attentions. In this space of time and sphere, I am attentive, aware, accepting the whole of the moment, weighing it down with me all here.”
So, after putting the book down, I picked up a pen and paper. I began to jot down 1,000 gifts. Some in a notebook, some on the back of grocery lists, some on the back of receipts, and others only jotted mentally in the recesses of my mind
#3: a fresh coat of charcoal paint and a place to call home
#39: a bright pick leotard
#40: little girls swinging in the warm January sunshine
#52: the oldest and youngest playing catch
#60: Juicy holiday grapes
#71: gracious widow ladies to learn from
#105: pigtails
#131: questions without answers
#135: a failed adoption
As you can see, my list is not comprised of all deep, meaningful things. But really? Who isn’t grateful for a big crunchy grape? The list also incudes things that are not always so beautiful. No one wants to watch a family suffer the pains of a failed adoption, but the privilege of seeing God orchestrate His perfect plan is a gift like no other. So in the mundane, in the ugly. in the confusing, and in the beautiful, I am trying to be conscious and aware of the gifts. I am trying to be attentive and give my full attention to the big, small and especially the everyday gifts. I want to live a life that is full. Full of an awareness of the One who gives all gifts.
Thanksgiving 2012
How many women does it take to decide if a turkey is done? Three, I say!
I love these three women! My aunt Ann hosts Thanksgiving in her home in Minneapolis. She is a gracious hostess and welcomes our crew with open arms. My aunt has been a very special part of my life. She is strong and smart and feisty. She loves her family and she loves mine too. My kids know when Aunt Annie is around it is sure to be a good time. They can’t wait to arrive at her house, and they can’t wait for her to arrive at ours. She also just happens to be my namesake.
Gravy making is an art, and my grandma has mastered it. It doesn’t matter if it is chicken, turkey, or beef gravy, she does it perfectly. It’s no wonder. I watched her from start to finish this year. I think it took her 20 minutes. I love this picture of her arthritic hands and her wedding ring…two things that I will always remember about my grandma.
Amirah is checking the Black Friday ads…getting prepared for our 3 am shopping trip!
What a blessed Thanksgiving 2012.
“...life change comes when we receive life with thanks and ask for nothing to change.” Ann Voskamp
1 comment:
I love it when you post pictures from your Minnesota family. These are events and people I have heard about for decades but never get to witness. I love this post.
Post a Comment