background

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cade’s Christmas Concert

Caden had a 5-8 vocal concert and a 6th grade band concert tonight. This fall, Caden was invited to play with the 7t/8th grade jazz, so he also performed three songs with the 7th/8th grade jazz band.  He came home from jazz band practice on Friday morning very excited about the attire he was asked to wear for the concert.  For the vocal/band portion of the concert they are required to wear black pants and white collared shirt.  Mr. Talon asked the jazz students to borrow/purchase a tie that could be worn for the jazz concert.  I was so surprised by his excitement about this tie.  I expected him to grumble and complain that he had to wear a tie, but he was more than excited.  I suggested that he borrow one, considering he would probably never wear it again.  He would have nothing to do with borrowing a tie.  He insisted that we buy one so that he could wear it to church and  “special events”.  I have no idea what he considers “special events”, but anyway.  So, we purchased the tie and he tried on the whole ensemble the night we purchased it.  Normally, it’s like pulling teeth to get that kid to try on clothes for me.  He told many people about his tie and was eagerly anticipating the night he got to wear it. 

Tonight, Bryan tied the tie for him and then showed him how to loosen and tighten it so he could slip it off for the vocal/band part and then put it on during the jazz concert.  The 5th/6th grade band performed right before the 7th/8th grade jazz band.  When he walked on stage for the band portion I did not see his tie with him, and wondered if he left it in his trombone case back stage.  I knew that if that was the case he was going to have to play without the tie, because the jazz band performed immediately after the 5th/6th band.  Unfortunately, exactly what I thought happened, happened!  I tell you, we had one bummed little boy.  He was so mad at himself.  When he came to find us after the jazz concert he had a defeated and extremely frustrated look on his face.  All over the tie! 

He may have been mad and frustrated, but with or without the tie, I was nothing more than proud.  He played his little heart out on that trombone.  The music was a challenge for him, but he worked really hard to get it mastered.  He did confess that the last part of the first song he was “fake playing”.  He got lost in the music and couldn’t ever quite get back on top of it.  Good thing for two trombone parts!  He told us on the way to the concert that he was nervous about that piece.  I guess he had good reason.  I know playing his trombone doesn’t quite rank up there with playing basketball, but he is really enjoying the instrument and the challenge brings him.  I hope he continues to feel that way for years to come. 

5th-6th grade vocal

IMG_0735

6th grade band

IMG_0760

7th and 8th grade Jazz Band

IMG_0781IMG_0775IMG_0774

When we walked into BJ Haan, I realized I had forgotten my camera.  I was about as mad at myself for forgetting my camera as Cade was that he left his tie backstage!  Fortunately, the HR person for our school takes hundreds and hundreds of pictures each year of the students in school, at chapels, and at concerts/performances.  I sent him an email this morning thanking him for the time and energy he puts into taking the pictures and then getting them on the website for us to enjoy...and use on our blog! 

No comments: