So much about our vacations at Big Sand are familiar and the same, yet every year is different. Each year has things that set it apart from other years. Like the year Caden cried, or in Greg’s words “squawked”, the entire week. Or the week when it was so cold we got afternoon flurries, and the guys kept their hands in the water to keep them warm while fishing. Oh, and the year Mike visited the ER after a friendly game of fliker ball. And one of my favorites, the year when Dave asked Nikki to marry him! As I was saying, every year has it’s special events that set it apart from all the other years, and this year was no different! Here are just a short list of 10 things that will forever make #bigsand2014 a year all of it’s own.
1. It was the year Caden took his boaters education class so that he was able to operate the boats without adult supervision {scary, I know}. Actually, it came in very handy to have another driver when Bryan wanted to go for a ski run and I was busy with the other kids. It was also nice that Bryan and Russ were not harassed all week by Nicolas and Cade to take them fishing. The two boys just jumped in the Green Machine and found a place to throw out their lines.
2. Soccer golf made it’s Evergreen Lodge debut and the kids really enjoyed it. I had never heard of it, but I guess it is a really big thing in the cities and you are seeing more and more courses.
3. I played my first full game of tennis.
4. Dave introduced us to the card game Bang. I didn’t play, but I heard it was a lot of fun, and I also heard that Caden made the game very interesting!
5. Speaking of Dave, after 30 years he decided it was his year to ski!!!! I still almost can’t believe it happened. We have been trying to convince him for years that skiing is fun and he should try it. Nope. Nothing. And then this year, out of the blue he decides he is going to do it. I was a little nervous for him, but there was no need. He got up on his first attempt! He did have a couple very entertaining falls, but he did not look like it was his first time on skis. So much fun!
6. Not to be outdone, Nicolas {after only 15 years of convincing} decided that if Dave was going to try he would too. He made it look very easy and was the first one to ski the following day. I think we have a couple more skiers.
7. Miah also became a skier this week. She went from “I’ll give it 10 tries”, to “Dad, can I ski again?” All in a week!
8. Bryan and Willow skied doubles for the first time this week. I still remember the first time Bryan and Cade skied doubles, now he’s got some girls to torture too. He loves to give you a little spray in the face when he goes in and out of the wake. He took it easy on Willow her first time, he would like her to do it again sometime:)
9. Cade was introduced to the wake boarded. His Bleeker girl cousins and Caleb love to wake board and he has held out for many years, but the night everyone was stepping out of their comfort zone to try something new, they challenged Cade to try the wake board. He accepted the challenge and gave it a try. He got up on his first try and looked pretty good on it.
10. Last but not least, Michael’s never-see-the-light-of-day-before-Big Sand- legs, got fried! As in sun burned!!!! Oh, wait, that happens every year! It’s so good to know some things never change.
It always amazes me what these kids can keep themselves busy with at the lake. One day, they spent hours making these “sand balls”. There was real technique that went into making them. The goal was to make them in such a way, that they did not break apart until hitting the water, and better yet, if they sunk and then broke apart. I know that wet, but not too wet sand was key to the center and the dry sand on the outside was also very important.
I didn’t see the bill myself, but I hear that we burned almost $500 worth of gas this week. I believe it when I think of how many tube rides, ski/wake board runs, and boat rides were given!
Brooke helping Cade get his feet in the board, and giving him a some last minute advise before pushing him in.
Here comes Dave!!!
Bryan supervising kids, while Cade pulls skiers.
Love this pictures. Best buddies!
You can tell these boys are from families with lots of kids….They were going to make their last little fishing trip on Friday evening. Just as they were getting ready to leave they had two little girls begging to go along. They were both very gracious and willingly took a couple extras (Nicolas even gave up his comfortable seat). While they were out there, Amirah realized she had to pee and they both knew she wasn’t going to make it. They tried to help her go over the side of the boat and it was unsuccessful. They improvised and “fixed her up”, so that she could fish comfortably until they were done. So much for their fun and relaxing last outing. Thanks for being such a great big brother and cousin!!
Grandpa and Grandma B and their crew at the Logging Camp. Their tummies were fuullll, thus all the smiles!
1 comment:
Those pics of Bryan and Willow are priceless. That lake water is so clear!
Post a Comment