When Seeing Isn’t Believing (Meditations from a Mother’s Heart by Pamela J Kennedy)
Then Elkanah went home to Ramah, but the boy ministered before the Lords under Eli the priest. Eli’s sons were wicked men; they had no regard for the Lord.” 1 Samuel 2:11-12
When Hannah took little Samuel, who was probably 3 or 4 years old, to live under the authority of the priests at the temple, she undoubtedly hoped he would be cherished and tenderly cared for. In reality, the temple did not seem a friendly place for a little one. Eli was busy and distant, and his sons, the Scriptures say, were wicked. Again Hannah needed to trust a God she could not see. As a woman of prayer, she likely brought her son daily before the throne of the Almighty, asking for His protection and mercy to surround Samuel since her arms no longer could. If she looked at the circumstances it would be easy to become discouraged. But looking to God brought hope and encouragement.
When my family members are in situations where I cannot see solutions, when they endure difficulties over which I have no control, I can be like Hannah. Although I have no power to change circumstances, I do have the power of God available through Word and Sacrament. I can also daily bring my children before His throne and seek His guidance, protection, grace, and mercy for them wherever they are. This is one of the sacred privileges of motherhood. And the assurance we have is that the same God who guided Samuel and comforted Hannah is available to guide our children and comfort us. He knows and loves our sons and daughters even more than we do and is able to accomplish great things in their lives- things beyond our limited sight that He has prepared for them to do for Him and His kingdom.
Prayer: Dear Jesus, sometimes I look at the circumstances around me and I’m afraid for my children. Increase my trust in You so I might daily give them into Your care. Strengthen me to believe that Your loving power and provision is stronger than my limited sight. Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment