background

Friday, August 21, 2009

Summer Fun

Where has the summer gone? My kids start school in less than 5 days. Even though the start of a new school year brings a lot of excitement, we are all a bit sad about the lazy days of summer coming to an end. After looking back at my summer it doesn't seem that the term "lazy days" is at all fitting for the Bleeker house. We packed a ton of fun into three short months. I did a terrible job of updating the blog this summer, so I am going to give you just a "taste" of our summer and call it "Summer Fun"...appropriately named! We spent two weeks at the lake in Minnesota each summer. One week is spent with the Bleekers at Big Sand lake, the other at Eagle lake with the Frankens. Here is just a small sampling of those two weeks.
Miah LOVES to be on the beach, however this summer she developed a slight fear of the water and being behind the boat. She did ski again this summer, but it took some coercing. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you bribe a little girl with ice cream. Grandpa Will told the girls that anyone who brave enough to put on the skis and go for a short run, would earn a trip with him for ice cream in Dorset. Dorset is a tiny town that has a population of 12, but boasts of their many eating establishments...one of which is an old fashion ice cream parlor.
I think that these duck gained 10 pounds the week we were at Big Sand! Willow was constantly coming to the cabin and asking for bread. Between feeding the duck and collecting shells Willow was one busy little girl.
I can't put into words how much this boy loves to fish! He could sit in a boat for hours! If only I had a dollar for every time he said, "Dad can we go fishing?" He spent most of his vacation rigging up his pole, changing lures, and reading his "Fish of Minnesota Field Guide"...the best purchase I have made in a long time. He also did quite a bit of skiing at Eagle Beach, but his favorite part of the vacation in fishing...hands down!

"Small in size, but big in attitude". This is the phrase that we use quite often for our little Romee. She held true to her own personal motto on vacations this summer. She didn't let her size dictate her activities. She tubed like the big kids, she fished like the big kids, she even slept with the big kids. Vacation was our trial run for a big girl bed, and she did great. So, as of this week she officially shares a room with the "big girls"...pictures to follow on a later post!

Amirah won't remember the vacations this year, but I certainly will! Amirah slept horrible at Big Sand and did a bit better at Eagle Beach. She was very happy when she was awake, but she was just awake way too often. I really enjoyed this year, knowing that next summer she will be ON THE RUN!

We always treasure our lake vacations. Not only is it time to spend away from home doing things we love, it is a time for cousins, siblings, and families to re-connect and just enjoy each other. Bryan and I talk often about how it really isn't much of a "vacation" for mom's and dad's, because it is a lot of work. However, it is all worth it when you see how much your kids really do enjoy it. The following pictures are some "odds and ends" that I wanted to include. Enjoy!It was 40 years ago this summer that Bryan's dad graduated from ISU vet school and began his Veterinarian practice. We celebrated that accomplishment with cake, ice cream, and matching t-shirts! Congratulations Grandpa B. We love you.
I just love this picture! They spent more time helping each other on the tube than they did riding the tube. Yes, Uncle Mike was giving the ride. Everyone knows that if you want a relaxing ride, don't let Mike drive.

Bryan might kill me for including this picture, but I will deal with that later. I just want to show you that the man's still got it! I have been watching him ski for almost 15 years now and he is as good today as he was when I first met him. It really is fun to watch him ski! Cade really wanted this one included in the post. He caught his first walleye at Big Sand this year! He was so excited. I was already in bed for the night and I received a text that I HAD to meet them at the end of the dock with a camera. So, out of bed I go. The smile on his face says it all!Again, I love this picture. I caught Miah and Anna walking back to the cabin, talking and laughing about who knows what. Priceless.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Yay - updates! We usually get to hear the exciting lake tales but have never seen photos, so these are fun to look at! :)