background

Saturday, August 29, 2009

She's 7!


I know that I say this every time one of my children celebrates another birthday, but I will say in anyway. I can't believe that she is 7! Miah Brynn celebrated her 7th birthday on August 21. Seven years ago on that day, I was very uncomfortable and very sick of being pregnant. More so with her, than with any of my other kids. I was given three due dates, and the first of the three was on the 10th of August. So, I was planning and ready to have her on the 10th! I learned very quickly about unreal expectations during pregnancy...with the next three I automatically tacked on at least 5 extra days! By the time August 21 rolled around I was more than ready to welcome a baby into my arms. She was worth the wait. She came out with a head FULL of dark brown hair and a round little face.

She still has a head full of hair, which is the cause of many morning disputes. Each morning Miah describes to me what she wants done with her hair, and she tells me exactly what she wants it to look like when I am finished. Sometimes she gives me the thumbs-up, but often I don't meet her desired expectations. Every day I learn more about the whole "hair thing", but even more than that I learn more each day what it means to be a mother to a young girl. I'm slowly, but surely learning that drama, tears, and strong opinions really translates into conviction, passion, and emotion. Having been a young girl myself, I should understand. However, I think that I have forgotten how hard it is to "be a girl". I say that flippantly, but in all seriousness I am glad that I don't have to "be a girl" again. In a society that is obsessed with outward appearances, you know...the tall, thin, blond haired girl, with a perfectly white smile. If you still don't understand, tune into the Disney Channel after school. Needless to say, developing a little girl's self-esteem is a constant battle. It is my prayer for Miah, that she can be true to the person that God created her to be, not what the magazines, TV, and other girls expect her to be. Miah is tender-hearted, yet full of "fire". She knows exactly what she wants, yet has the ability to be flexible. She is has a very creative mind, yet likes her room to be "structured". Can be a bit flighty, yet makes sure her brother has everything he needs for school. Miah Brynn, you are a beautiful little girl inside and out, and I thank God for choosing me to be your mother. Over the past year, Miah has developed a strong aversion to cake frosting. She asked that we not have cake for either of her birthday parties. She wanted to make cookies-bops (the name we have given ice-cream cookie sandwiches) and serve those for the party that she shared with Seth. We did decorate a cookie so that they could each have a couple candles to blow out. She asked for ice cream and toppings for her party with the Franken's. No one at either party seemed to miss the cake, and it was a lot less stress for the "party planner" too!

No comments: