background

Friday, March 18, 2011

Reminiscing

Several weeks ago we went and watched Sioux Center play Western Christian play in the sub-state basketball game. It was "orange out", so the Sioux Center crowd would be sporting anything and everything orange! Our Sioux Center Warrior apparel is pretty limited at this point and so Cade was planning to wear the same orange and blue Under armour t-shirt he had worn to all the other games this year. Just minutes before heading out the door, I remembered that Bryan's high school basketball jersey was orange and it I knew right were it was (not always the case in this house). I pulled it out and asked Cade if he wanted to wear it. I wasn't sure if he would want to wear it, considering it is almost 20 years old. I did tell him that "vintage" is cool nowadays. He didn't care what was "cool" nowadays. He was just so excited to be wearing the very jersey his dad wore in his sub-state game almost 20 years ago. This spurred on all kinds of conversation about Bryan's basketball days. Cade then learned that somewhere in the basement, there was a VHS tape of highlights from the state tournament and the games preceding it. Cade asked several time that next week if we could watch it. So, one night Bryan went digging and we managed to find the box that contained the highlight tape. I popped some popcorn and we had a movie night where Bryan was the "star". Oh what fun to reminisce!

In that same box, we found several old movies that we have not watched in a VERY long time. Some of them the little girls hadn't even heard of. One of them was "Spirit". Caden was Amirah's age when the movie came out, and he got it for Christmas that year. He loved that movie! I can remember having to hide the movie because otherwise he would ask to watch it several times a day. There was one part in the movie that was too scary for him he and would ask us to fast forward through that part...every time! Last night we watched the movie for the first time in years. When the opening music came on, I got a "pit" in the bottom of my stomach. I was instantly taken back almost 10 years, to my little family room, in my little yellow house, with my little boy snuggle on my my lap. It feels like it was just yesterday and at the same time I can hardly remember some of those days. Last night it made me feel sad. Today it makes me feel blessed. The same little boy who was snuggled on my lap 10 years ago, is the same "little" boy I have today. Yes, he is much bigger and stronger, but he is that same little boy. He is still stubborn, sensitive, funny, full of wit, and best of all...he still loves to snuggle on my lap. Oh what fun to reminisce.
I added some of the music from "Spirit" to my playlist. I love the music from this movie! Of course, who doesn't love a little Bryan Adams?

2 comments:

Hermans said...

I love that movie! It is one of the kids' favorites, too. When picking out DVDs for a trip it always seems to make the cut. But with the voices of Matt Damon and Bryan Adams, how can you go wrong?
Laura

Heather said...

Spirit was the first movie we ever took Ty to in a theater. It was the weekend before Elisabeth was born. I can remember it like it was yesterday; yet it seems like a lifetime ago.

That was back in the days when I still scrapbooked. I even kept the movie ticket stubs. :) Thanks for letting me reminisce on your "comments". :)