background

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Basketball 2012

Caden got the opportunity to play AAU basketball for the first time this year, and he loved every last minute of it.  It was very low-key and they played in just 3 tournaments.  I know that this whole AAU things gets more intense as they get older, so I am all for a slow start.  Caden has a very small class of boys, so they had just enough for a team.  That allowed all the boys to get lots of playing time and experience on the floor.  It was amazing to see how they progressed from the first game to the last. 

Caden loves all sports, and when asked what his favorite sport was, he could never pick just one.  After the season was over he told me that he could now say that basketball is his favorite.

DSC_0928DSC_0929

Believe it or not, he actually won this tip.  This kids was about 6 inches taller than Cade.  It’s all about the timing:)!

DSC_0930

Cade shared the point-guard position with one other boy.  His natural leadership tendencies kicked in when he was on the floor, directing players to where they needed to be.   I was always afraid he was being “bossy”, and I even reprimanded him for it once after the game.  Both he and the “coach” did not appreciate my comment and assured me that he doing his job!  I have so much to learn. 

DSC_0932DSC_0936DSC_0938

The last game of this tournament Cade had to shoot free-throws to tie the game.  He missed them both and they ended up getting second in the tournament.  He was so frustrated after that game.  He said over and over, “How come I can make free-throw after free-throw at the Rec Center?”  It’s called pressure my friend.  He got over it pretty quickly and we can even give him a hard time about it now. 

DSC_0941DSC_0948DSC_0955DSC_0961

Ty’s 6th grade team was playing in the same tournament.  Both teams were playing in the championship game.  We took the opportunity after the games were over to snap a picture of these two.  Although each at different schools, different grades, and different friends, these two remain BFF’s.  Do boys have BFF’s?  They are both so “comfortable in their own skin” and therefore are comfortable in almost any social situation.  Neither seem to mind hanging out with each other’s friends, so there is always a different combination of kids shooting hoops together in somebodies driveway.  Isn’t that how it should be!  

DSC_0958

What a fun first year of basketball.  I am actually not sure who had more fun?

No comments: