background

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Monday Musings on Tuesday

* The biggest news of the week is the weather.  Everyone is talking about the weather. And for good reason.  It is beautiful!  One thing about our NWI winters, we can appreciate the spring even more.  I am going to go out on a limb and call it “spring”.  The Sioux City stations ten day forecast predict multiple days in the 70’s and never going below 55.  I can handle that. 

*  I am in the throws of training for the Superman Triathlon.  I decided 6 weeks ago that I was going to participate again this year, and two weeks later I started having knee pain.  The pain is a nuisance and is most pronounced when I bike.  I have noticed that outdoor running is better than indoor running, and so I am hopeful it will take care of itself.  I wish I knew a good PTSmile (Laura, you would be very impressed with my self-diagnosis)

* We had parent-teacher conferences this week.  They were relatively painless.  The two older girls did student-led conferences, so I think they would probably disagree.  I really don’t like student-led conferences and don’t think they are all that beneficial.  Mrs. Vander Werf made the comment that, “I am having a hard time figuring Amirah out.”  She went on to talk about how she is so shy and reserved in social situations, in the class room, and especially in places like the bank, fire station, etc. (field trips).  She said, in fact, she rarely even raises her hand in class.  BUT, when we go to PE or recess and there is a game or tag being played, she is out there directing traffic, trying to get people out, and very social.  I looked at her and said, “You have completely figured her out.”  Miah was described at her conference as “a lock box full of beautiful  treasure that is slowly being discovered.”  Everyone in the room could agree with that! 

* Romee was Star of the Week.  More on that later….

*  I subbed at the preschool this week.  They have called a couple of times and my schedule didn’t allow for me to help them out.  This week was a pretty low-key week, so I told them I could help out.  It was a lot of fun.  The first little girl who walked in the room bee-lined it right for me at the front of the class room.  She pulled on the bottom of my sweater and says, “Hey, what is your name?”  I said, “My name is Becca. I get to spend the morning with you.  Is that okay?”  She nods her head “yes”, all the while struggling to get her coat zipper down.  I crouch down and say, “Here, let Ms. Becca help you that that.”  She looks me right in the eyes and says, “Um, your breath smells…..um…..minty.”  Ms. Brenda looks at me and says, “I am just warning you, that could have been so much worse.”  We both laughed so hard about it.  So, first lesson learned with preschool kids.  Always have fresh breath.  Apparently they will tell you if you don’t.

* Miah had the week off of volleyball.  She missed it… I though it was a nice break.  Caden played basketball in Harrisburg on Friday night at 8, Saturday afternoon at 3:00, and again at 8 p.m.  With the time change, and the late nights of basketball, we were all struggling to get out of bed on Sunday morning.  The smell of bacon and eggs always helps.  I love that Bryan makes Sunday morning breakfast!  Cade’s team got first place in the tournament and Cade had a really nice weekend of basketball.  He played well and had so much fun with his team.  It was a fun weekend for us too.  Because of the big break between games on Saturday I came prepared with a picnic lunch (minus the sandwiches).  We stopped and picked up Jimmy John’s and went to Falls Park and had sandwiches, chips, fruit, and drink.  We also rode around downtown Sioux Falls looking at all the big, beautiful, old homes.  The kids were all observing the lots-sizes for Hazel.  I was looking at the gorgeous architecture and potential. 

* Cade had his second Saturday morning of Driver’s Ed.  We would love for him to have his school permit this summer for early morning weight lifting, so we decided to have him take it this spring.  He also went on his first drive with JJ.  Caden says that he thinks JJ was impressed with his driving skills.  I would like to talk to JJ more about that! 

* The kids had the day off on Friday.  We went to the bakery for breakfast, and then spent the rest of the day lounging at home, doing a little cleaning, and hanging out with the Harskamp cousins.  It made me long for summer days where the pace is just a little slower.

*  I miss my mom and dad.  They are spending the entire month in Arizona.  They have been gone for almost three weeks and won’t be home for probably another three.  I am so happy for them!  This is my dad’s dream and my mom is slowly getting on board.  I “talk” (via texts) to her everyday, but it isn’t the same as having her around.  Amirah has the rest of the week off of TK because her teacher will help with Kindergarten round-up.  Normally, I would call her and ask if she wanted to go Sioux City for one of the days.  We would go to Sam’s Club, eat lunch at Chic-fil-a, do a little shopping, maybe stop at Lowe’s on the way out of town and be home by 3:00 to pick the big kids up at school.  I guess it will just be Amirah and I this week. 

      

2 comments:

Heather said...

Joe will commiserate with you on the knee pain... but he suffers in the opposite way. Running inside is fine but outdoors results in pain for a couple of days. I feel so badly for him being stuck on the treadmill during this beautiful weather. :(

Hermans said...

Keep up the musings! This wayward family in Idaho loves to hear the news from "home". Hope the knee is feeling better...Russ and I were able to run outside all winter long. Just saying...😊