background

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pugslee: AKA Pugs

DSC_0124art

Pugs- October 2005-2011

Yesterday afternoon we had to say a tearful goodbye to our loyal companion, walking partner, playmate, and best friend.  She made her way into our home almost 2 years ago, and into our hearts the minute she walked in the door.  The morning she arrived, I said to Bryan and kids  “She is not my dog.  I agreed to her, but I am not responsible for her.”  Wow, things change in a hurry.   I complained about having to feed and water her, about getting her to her haircuts, about chasing her down the bike trail, about vacuuming up oodles of hair each spring, and about her being under foot every time I walked into the kitchen, but I would do all of those thing today if only I could.

She was a great dog!  We all loved her dearly and she will be missed.  We will miss having to use code words for cheese…her absolute favorite treat.  She would howl and cry with excitement just hearing the word.  We will miss hearing the click of her claws on the wood floor as she paced up and down the hall.  We will miss her howls of joy when we returned home from a weekend trip.  Most of all, we will miss the loyal friend she was to us.  In Cades words, “Mom, she was my best friend.  She would never say a bad thing about me.  She was always there.”  Doesn’t that just sum up the relationship between a boy and his dog?  There are so many wonderful life lessons that are learned in having a pet, but some of the hardest as well.    

DSC_0626artDSC_0614art2

She was really too big to be considered a “lap dog”, but you can see from the following pictures where she spent most of her life!  With 7 people around there was almost always one available! 

DSC_0285artDSC_0102art

DSC_0167artDSC_0561artDSC_0555

Did I mention that she was the most long suffering dog you have ever met?  She was rode like a horse, pulled by her tail, crammed into small spaces, and dressed up on many occasions.  She was SO good with kids. 

DSC_0110art

We loved you Pugs! 

3 comments:

Heather said...

My very favorite Pugs memory took place in your backyard... when those college kids were riding bike along the trail, and Pugs decided to run alongside them to give some "encouragement". :) The one girl was so afraid that she put her feet up on the handlebars of her bike. I'm giggling right now as I picture it. I don't think Bryan was quite as "long-suffering" in that moment... but the laughs made it totally worth while.

Our kids miss Pugslee too. We heard the girls talking about it last night again in their bedroom for quite a while after lights out. Pets can be quite a hassle, but the lessons learned through them are absolutely priceless.

Becca said...

Heather, that memory is one that keeps coming up in our debriefing sessions:) She could move for being such a big girl:) Today i had to mop up mac-n-cheese from under the bar stools. I can't remember the last time I had to mop up food. It's just the little things that remind me!

Sara Crane said...

Well - it took me a week, but I finally felt I could read this this morning... Thank you so much for the wonderful words and photos - I'm glad she was just as loved in your house as she was in ours!