Heritage Village is one of my very favorite places in the world. I’m serious. Granted, I live a pretty sheltered life and haven’t seen much of the world, but even if I had I still think this would be right at the top of the list. For the little girl who dreamt of living with Laura Ingles Wilder in her little house in the big woods, a visit to Heritage Village is almost a dream come true. My nieces and girls met Heather and her girls there for the Heritage Days and enjoyed a warm hot, but enjoyable afternoon touring the buildings.
Roelof’s Store is the newest addition to the village. The Olesen’s Mercantile in Walnut Grove has nothin’ on this little store. Mr. Roelof’s himself, gave the girls a tour of the store. In the picture above, he is pointing out a photo of the original store. The store we were standing in is almost an exact replica of the one in the photo. I think this is my new favorite building!
A lot of the demonstrations had closed down for the afternoon, but we were able to watch the farmer separate his cream from milk.. and even got a little taste of the cream. We also got to see Gerritson Lumber yard in action. They showed the girls how they rip lumber from tree logs.
The fall festival is completely free of charge. I think it is such a privilege to be able to enjoy something like this in our small town. I am so grateful for all volunteers and the board of Heritage Village that put many, many hours into the festival. What a wonderful place for kids (and adults) to learn and have fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment