background

Sunday, February 1, 2015

New York City: Part 1

In September, I took a girls trip to New York City with my aunts, a couple of cousins, mom, and sister.  It was a trip that I didn’t ever imagine myself taking!  It was an opportunity that I am so grateful that I got to take advantage of.  My aunt Leanne was our tour guide and travel agent.  She and her girls have been to New York several times and know the city very well.  I am so grateful for all of the time and energy she put into making this trip a once in a lifetime opportunity of me!  Hope you enjoy my New York travelogue:

Part 1 

When Iowa State played in the Sweet 16 last spring, their game was played in New York City.  In the days approaching the big game, there was an ISU highlight video that went viral done to the song “Empire State of Mind”.  I heard that song playing in the house over and over as my kids watched highlights of their favorite games from the year.  So, when I was walking the streets of New York, lines from that song were ringing in my head.  I could almost hear Alicia Keys singing, “New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made, There’s nothing that you can’t do now that you are in New York.  These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, let’s here it for New York, { New York, New York}”.  I think that Jay Z and Alicia Keys are a little delusional.  Don’t get me wrong, it is a fascinating city!  The lights, the noise, the smells, the people, the buildings, the way of life…they are indescribable!  But for this mid-west girl, there was nothing “inspiring” about it.  I absolutely loved doing all the touristy things we did {and we did it all}, but I have no affection or love for the city.  I spent 4 days with some of my very favorite people, seeing things I have only seen on TV, and doing things I didn’t think I would probably ever do, so that made the trip amazing.  However, I do not miss the noise, the smells, and the sweaty people rubbing up against me!  I need my personal space.  If I were going to pick a favorite from the trip, it would be either the Broadway show {Wicked} or our day trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island…loved, loved, Ellis Island and would almost make a trip back to New York, just so I could spend more time there.  My least favorite was shopping in SoHo.  I don’t like to shop to begin with, and this was like Black Friday on steroids!  I didn’t take my camera, so all I have to share is iPhone pictures, but there are a lot of them.  Enjoy my travelogue! 

Day 1:

Flew out of MN at 7:45 am.  Flight was great…I mean, as great as any flight can be.  I really dislike flying.  We landed early in New York.  Took a 45 minute taxi ride to our hotel.  We learned that a taxi will take the longest way possible to your destination because you pay per minute.  On departure, we took a limo from our hotel back to the airport and it took her 15 minutes (we paid a flat fee)…which was still less than the taxi!  When taxi drivers see tourist, they really see “suckers”!!!!

Arrived at our hotel (Hampton Inn) early afternoon.  Our hotel was just blocks from Time Square.  New York City hotel rooms are so, so small.  You better really enjoy your roommates or it could be a long vacation! 

IMG_0722_thumb1

Street view from our hotel

IMG_0775_thumb1

Our room.  You walked into the bathroom and then back out.  No tub, only a small shower, but the breakfast was great.  If you are a Bleeker, that’s all that really matters anyway. 

After dropping our luggage with the concierge, we found a place to have lunch.  We were all very hungry.  5 Napkins was our first dining experience and it was so good!

IMG_0724_thumb1IMG_0725_thumb1

After filling our tummies, on chicken taco’s, lobster sliders, and mahi sandwiches we hit the streets of New York.  I think that Ann checked her gadget that keeps track of your steps at the end of the day, and on day 1 we walked almost 8 miles!  Here is what our 8 miles got us. 

We decided to start our sightseeing in Central Park.  This was a must see for me.  I was really excited about seeing Central Park.  When you enter into Central Park, it is like you stepped into another world.  Moments before you were surrounded by concrete, skyscrapers, and nothing natural and then all of the sudden you are in this huge green space with water and beautiful architecture.  We took the Subway to Central Park. 

IMG_0733_thumb1

IMG_0735_thumb1

The Aunts:  The entire trip we referred to ourselves as the young girls and the old girls, but let me tell you, the old girls can hold their own.  They walked faster than we did and stayed up later than we did. They are also all kinds of fun!  I love them all so much. 

IMG_0737_thumb1

Bow Bridge is seen in many movies that take place in New York.  It is named Bow Bridge because it’s curves are similar to the curves of a violin bow. 

IMG_0738_thumb1

IMG_0739_thumb1

IMG_0740_thumb1

IMG_0741_thumb2IMG_0743_thumb1

IMG_0745_thumb1

If you think that you have found a pair of comfortable shoes to wear in New York City, you probably haven’t.  I think that almost all of us had a blister or two at some point.  We learned quickly to always have a Band-Aide handy!  We stopped for a short rest, applied a couple more Band-Aids, and checked our NYC map for our next destination…St Patrick’s Cathedral.

IMG_0748_thumb1

Our walk to the St. Patrick's took us past some shopping, that my mom, Jill, and I didn’t participate in.  We opted to go in the Trump building and take a couple pictures from a deck on the 10th floor. 

 IMG_0753_thumb

We also walked by the Apple Store/building.  Here is the bottom…

IMG_0751_thumb

And here is the top….

IMG_0752

When we arrived at the Cathedral we discovered it was undergoing some renovations.  At first I was disappointed that all the scaffolding distracted from the architecture, but as I walked through the building, I realized the scaffolding itself was quite something.  It made my stomach turn just thinking of the men up there working! 

IMG_0755_thumb1IMG_0756_thumb1IMG_0757_thumb1IMG_0760_thumb1

Next, we scooted down to Rockefeller Center.  We walked past the NBC Tower and through the Plaza, which is way smaller than it looks on TV.  That ice skating rink seems so large on TV, but was way smaller than I had imagined.  We browsed in the NBC store and watched a few minutes of taping of an Australian Morning Show. 

IMG_0764_thumb3 

IMG_0765_thumb1IMG_0761_thumb1

We ended the first day at John’s Pizzeria.  It was recommended to me by my former high school librarian who has visited New York many times.  Her recommendation was on point…some of the best pizza I have ever consumed!  We sat right by where the man was hand tossing the pizza’s and then putting in the brick oven.  The restaurant was in an old renovated church, so the atmosphere was great too. 

IMG_0780

IMG_0776_thumb1IMG_0785_thumb1

No comments: