background

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

New York: Part 2

Day 2: 

We started our day with a subway ride down to the business district to tour the newly opened 911 Museum. We got on the subway that morning about 8:30.  Our train was filled mostly with kids and mom’s going to school and men and women heading down to the business district to work.  As we tried to keep pace with all of the business men and women that morning, I couldn’t help think about how similar that September morning would have been 14 years earlier.  It gave me a funny feeling to think that they were riding the same trains, walking the same side walks, and crossing the same streets, having no idea what the next two hours of their life were going to look like.  

IMG_0789_thumb1

This tour probably deserves an entire post of it’s own, but for now I will just say it was surreal.  I remember being glued to the TV that beautiful September 11 morning watching the events of the morning unfold.  For the past 14 years, it all seemed so distant, so far away, so movie-like.  Then all of the sudden I am standing next to the very stair case that those who escaped the towers used, or by articles of clothing and shoes people wore, or by bicycles that to this day, have never been claimed.  It was a reminder that the events that took place that morning were real and that thousands of people who call New York City “home” relive them each morning as they make their commute, or walk past the pools, or see a plane flying  low in New York City sky-line.  Pictures were not allowed in much of the museum, but here are a few from that tour.

The slurry wall:  This is one of the only structures remaining from the towers.  These are the “footings”, that basically stopped the Hudson from flooding the entire city the day of the collapse. 

 IMG_0795_thumb1

Two of the “Y” beams recovered from the rubble. IMG_0791_thumb1

The Survivors Staircase:  This is the stair case that the survivors used to exit the World Trade Center North Tower

IMG_0798_thumb1IMG_0799_thumb1IMG_0800_thumb1IMG_0801_thumb2IMG_0802_thumb1

Memorial Pools:  Where the World Trade Center North Tower once stood.

IMG_0804_thumb2IMG_0807_thumb2IMG_0810_thumb2

IMG_0815_thumb1

One World Trade Center, or as some refer to it as Freedom Tower

IMG_0808_thumb1

After several hours at the 911 Museum we headed just a few block down to Battery Park.  Our next adventure was Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.  We knew the ferries left from Battery Park and we needed to purchase our tickets there. I had heard that Battery Park was really dirty and run down and also not the safest place in New York City.  I thought that it was kind of pretty myself.  I have read since then, that the city of New York is trying to rejuvenate and restore it to a prettier New York City landmark. 

IMG_0818_thumb1

This is the Battery Park City School.  I was fascinated!  The playground was on the roof top. 

IMG_0823_thumb1

My first glimpse at Lady Liberty. 

IMG_0824_thumb1

What’s a trip to New York without a Coney dog from a hotdog vendor?

IMG_0826_thumb1IMG_0828_thumb1IMG_0829_thumb1IMG_0831_thumb2IMG_0836_thumb1

After a short stop at the Statue of Liberty we got back on the ferry and headed over to Ellis Island.  I wish we could have spent more time at Ellis Island, but we were on a tight schedule.  We had a Broadway show to see in the evening.  Ellis Island was probably the biggest surprise for me.  I love history, so I knew I would enjoy it, but I was intrigued!  When I entered the Ellis Island Immigration Station, (the museum) I noticed a sign that said, “Island of Hope, Island of Tears”.  As I walked through the dormitories, and the room for detainees, and as I paged through the various ship manifests, and read about The Kissing Post (the place where families were reunited), and walked up the Stairs of Separation (the stairs where immigrants filed out based on their final destination), I couldn’t help but think about the tears that were shed there, but also the hope that the building represented for so many people…my very own ancestors.  If you ever get a chance to visit NYC make this a “must see”, and make sure you have plenty of time.  My kids would have loved it!   

IMG_0841_thumb2IMG_0842_thumb2IMG_0843_thumb1IMG_0846_thumb2IMG_0848_thumb2IMG_0851_thumb2

IMG_0855_thumb2

We went back to the hotel to clean up and get ready for supper and the Broadway show Wicked

IMG_0856_thumb1

I can’t remember where we ate dinner the night of the show, but for some reason I feel like it had the name of an animal in it?!?! At any rate, the picture of my mom and myself outside of the restaurant that night is probably one of my favorites from the trip.  I have very few pictures of my mom and I together, so this is just a treasure to me.  She truly is one of the most beautiful woman I know! 

IMG_0859_thumb2

After the show we walked to Time Square.  We had seen Time Square in the daytime, but wanted to experience it at night!  It was a really fun night!  I facetimed  with my family while in Time Square that night.  It was fun to see a couple of familiar faces in a sea of strangers!   By the time we got back to the hotel it was quite late, so we decided to sleep in the next morning and plan for a late morning departure.

No comments: