In the past, baseball and softball have taken up a large part of the month of June. This year, ball took of the entire month of June (plus 2 weeks of July)! At times, Cade was playing an 8th grade game at 10:30 a.m., a freshman game at 3:45, a JV game at 5:30, and then for half the season sitting in the dug-out for the Varsity games. Willow played Warrior ball again this summer and had three weekend tournaments with a couple league games during the week. Needless to say, we spent many, many hours in bleacher seats or lawn chairs. The girls were troopers and helped me pack more picnics than I dare to count, had carrying the blankets, chairs, coolers to the diamonds down to a fine science, and kept David sunflower seed company in business! It was such a fun month, and I am sad it is over.
Willow played mostly shortstop, but also did some catching and a little pitching. I was talking to a friend at church last week, who happens to be a college softball coach, and he was telling me that one of the biggest disservices you can do to a softball player, is pigeon hole her into one position…even at the high school level. I love that her coaches moved the girls around and had them consistently trying new positions. At the end of the summer, Willow decided that playing catcher was her favorite position.
Cade did some pitching again this year. He was mostly used as a reliever/closer. He moved around the in-field almost all season, but he told me that third base might be his favorite. If there is anything that I learned from this season, it is that he better not get attached to any particular spot. They rotate those boys around the field more than I rotate my furniture...which is a lot!
No comments:
Post a Comment