On the Rock.
This fall I did a Beth Moore bible study. At one point in the study, she challenged us to memorize Psalm 62. This winter as I was memorizing this Psalm, I fell deeply in love with it. Now, as I walk and sometime trudge through my days and weeks, I find myself recalling parts of the Psalm. As soon as I saw the title of this photo challenge I knew exactly what I was going to take a picture of, because this verse immediately popped into my head:
Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from him
He alone is my rock and salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken
My salvation and honor depend on God
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Psalm 62: 5-7
The kids just took their BSF hymn folders home. Sunday afternoon Miah and I were sing through some of them. The very first song in the folder is “How Firm a Foundation”. I asked Miah if we could please sing that one, because it is one of my favorite. Miah obliged to make her mom happy. I hadn’t sung that hymn for a very long time and had forgotten many of the words. As I was singing through the verses I was reminded why it is a favorite. When we stand on the Rock we certainly have a firm foundation. One that can not be shaken! Praise God.
How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said—
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?
“Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My gracious, omnipotent hand.
“When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee thy trouble to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.
“When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not harm thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.
“The soul that on Jesus doth lean for repose,
I will not, I will not, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I’ll never, no never, no never forsake.”
1 comment:
I love that we both went to the same "place" on this one.
And that we both referred to old hymns. I'm pretty sure you're my only friend who appreciates "antique" worship music the way I do.
...Why other little girls weren't singing "Onward Christian Soldiers" at funerals of dead mice and pigeons, I do not understand.
Post a Comment