background

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Miah's Totem Pole

Earlier in the year, Miah did a 6 week study on Native Americans.  One of the projects she did in conjunction with this study, was molding a totem pole.  Here is a picture of Miah's totem and what she wrote about each animal/bird represented on the pole. 

"I made this totem pole for my family.  Each animal is kind of like them.  I made my dad a wolf because he is the leader of the family and is intelligent and is always helping me out.  I made my mom a humming bird because she is beautiful and loving and always making the right choices.  My brother is just like an eagle.  He is always helping me with things I need help with and he is a great leader.  I am like a seal, because I am organized and always making up new things.  I am always thinking and asking questions.  Willow is like a Heron.  She is easy going and always in her own world.  She is patient too.  Romee is like a dove.  She is kind, gentle, and loving.  She is always playing with her dolls and pretending.  Amirah is like the bumblebee.  Once she gets something in her head you can't get it out!" 

 Miah really enjoyed this project and couldn't wait for us to see it at parent-teacher conferences.  The only complaint she had was the amount of time it took for her to sculpt her whole family.  Most of her class finished in the allotted time.  She however, had to stay in for a recess to finish a couple extra family members.  She said to Amirah and Romee one night at supper, "I had to stay in for recess today because of you girls."  She pointed at them and said it with a big grin on her face.  I don't think she cared:) 
 

No comments: